Lingerie buying 101
How to flatter her figure, pick colors and
Chocolate makes you fat, flowers die and great
jewelry is a strain on the budget.Lingerie, on the other hand,
is the gift that truly keeps on giving.
Here's how to buy it right.
Not every woman feels comfortable with baring
her bottom in a sexy thong.
Put some thought into what body parts she
feels most comfortable with and choose lingerie to complement.
A few ideas:
- Show off nice legs in something short
like a baby doll or short chemise.
- Play up good cleavage with a halter or
- Display toned arms with a camisole.
Get her in touch with her inner child by
choosing fun prints like cherries or clouds. Or appeal to her
wilder side: animal prints, lace or bold colors like red are
Black, red and white (or off-white) look good
on almost everyone.
Blondes look great in pastels, and brunettes can
carry off stronger colors like purple and emerald green.
Redheads do best with greens, blues and earthy tones.
If you like touching the garment, she'll like
wearing it. Velvet, silk and satin have lots of tactile appeal.
If you're buying online, stick with fabrics that you already
know what they feel like.
Casual, updated intimates come in styles like
tank tops, bikinis and p.j.s. Look for cotton, flannel or other
naturally cozy fabrics.
The best way to find her correct size is to
Alternatives: you can snoop around the
lingerie drawer to find the sizes of stuff she already owns. Or
you can guess (tricky territory -- Lingerie.com even promotes
the amusing "fruit comparison" method for finding cup size.)
Don't forget to wrap the lingerie (or have it
professionally wrapped) with beautiful paper and a lots of lush
tissue paper. You can get creative and make bags or baskets with
related items, like a book of poetry, a bottle of champagne or
great-smelling body products and candle.
- Chemise - A straight gown that skims the
- Negligee - A loose, usually sheer,
gown.Peignoir set - Negligee that includes a matching sheer
- Babydoll - A short gown that fits around
the bust, flares toward hemline.
- Pajamas - Pants and top, originally
styled after men's p.j.s.
- Bustier - A usually strapless elongated
bra that provides extra lift to the breasts.
- Camisole - A sleeveless top that can be
paired with matching undies or worn under a jacket for work.
- Teddy - A one-piece style, similar to a
- Tap pants - Soft, very short version of
- Thong - Provides coverage in the front of
the panty with a thin strap in the back.
Labels to know
- Nick and Nora - Fun, retro print p.j.s
- La Perla - The creme de la creme of
- Agent Provocateur - Sexy, playful and
- Victoria's Secret - Well-priced, with
everything from comfy p.j.s to sexy bra sets